Although there are people who have spiders as pets, you will probably agree for the most part that seeing spiders freely crawling in your home can be a frightening experience. This is especially true when you have kids and pets at home.
To eliminate spiders and prevent them from taking over your home, you should start by vacuuming them along with their webs. You may not need to call extermination services right away, since there are home remedies like spreading diatomaceous earth or spraying your entire home with peppermint oil that may be able to keep these scary critters at bay.
Keeping Spiders Out of Your Home
Assuming that you were successful in getting rid of the spiders, there are things you need to do to ensure you won’t have to deal with them again.
* First, you need to seal up all cracks and holes. You can use caulk to fill in large spaces in your windows and doors, as well as in your faucets, cables, wires and electrical components.
* If you have window screens, check that they aren’t torn. If there are holes in the screens, then you’ll need to fix it or replace it entirely. Don’t underestimate a spider’s ability to find its way in even the tiniest hole.
* You should also cover your chimney and vents with insect screens.
* Remove vegetation away from your property’s perimeter and instead plant shrubs, ivy, and trees at the opposite side of your yard. That’s because spiders find vegetation appealing as it gives them a place to hide and a source of food.
* Keep your home clean and get rid of leftover food lying around your home especially in the kitchen. Food crumbs attract not only spiders but also ants and other pests.
Using Pest Control Methods
If your spider problem persists, we strongly suggest that you contact a pest control company. They are specially trained to check your home for the root cause of your spider infestation and recommend the most effective ways to solve it.
Pest specialists use methods and products that are particularly effective in eliminating spiders. They also have traps to ensure no stone is left unturned.
Keep in mind that insecticides have substances that may be harmful if not used correctly. Your extermination company knows how to handle such products to ensure that you, your family and pets are safe.
Call a professional if the measures you have taken yourself have not been successful and your spider infestation is getting worse. Spiders breed pretty fast and before you know it, you’ll have hundreds of spiders crawling around your floors, walls and ceilings!